About Us
From The Headmaster
At a Glance
Mission and Philosophy
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
Advantages of a K-8 School
Country School Values
Accreditations and Memberships
School History
Country Lines
School Calendars
Strategic Plan 2009
Helping Others, Helping Ourselves
Anti-Bullying Initiative
Faculty
Trustees
Country School Song
Career Opportunities
Admission
Giving
Alumni
Academics
Athletics
Arts
Student Life
Parents
Class Pages


Home >  About Us >  School History > 

School History    
History.jpg
The "White House"

1930’s
The Country School was founded in 1934 by a small group of parents who wanted to provide their children with the best possible elementary education. The school began in one room of a private residence located on Glebe Road in Easton, Maryland. The original student body consisted of five students and Mrs. Dorothy E. Startt was engaged to teach them using the Calvert system. Mrs. Startt set a tone for the school, established a tradition of excellence, and held academic standards high. Subsequently, Mrs. Startt was asked to assume the duties of Headmistress with the founding parents serving as the first Board of Trustees. In 1937, the school moved to a more spacious private home on Goldsborough Street, and again in 1939, to even more spacious accommodations utilizing an entire floor of a residence on South Street, adjacent to Christ Church in Easton, where the church hall served for large assemblies.

Founder.jpg
Founder Dorothy Startt

1940’s
In the fall of 1941, the school was relocated to larger quarters in a residence adjacent to the old Avalon Hotel, on Dover Street in Easton. This location accommodated two more teachers, along with the addition of a Kindergarten and an eighth grade. The student body now numbered forty. Another move in 1943, to the Queen Anne Hotel in Easton, fulfilled great demand for a nursery school. At that time enrollment stood at sixty students. The school operated in this location until October 1, 1946, the year The Country School found a permanent home in its present location on Goldsborough Street. The original school building consisted of a white Victorian frame house and an outdoor play area for two separate age groups. Subsequent additions to this facility consisted of four large classrooms, three restrooms, and an enlarged and remodeled basement.  

Thirties.jpg
1930's

1950’s
During the 1950‘s, the size of both the student body and physical plant continued to increase. 174 students were enrolled in 1953. The original section of the current red brick building, consisting of eight classrooms and a gymnasium was built in 1959. 

1960’s
By 1966, enrollment totaled 215 students. In order to house the growing student body (upper school, pre-school and primary school), an additional wing was built in 1968. 


1970’s
 
Enrollment continued to grow during the 1970‘s. Further additions to the school were made in 1972 and 1974. An important feature of the construction in 1974 was a library. In June 1977, Mrs. Dorothy Startt retired after forty-three years of dedicated service. Enrollment was at 355 students. In 1978, the pre-school program was discontinued. A transitional period occurred between 1977 to 1979 during which Mr. Thomas M. Green, who came from The Peck School in Morristown, New Jersey, was appointed Headmaster, followed on an interim basis by Mr. Edward C. McEachron, a former independent school Headmaster from New England. Mr. Russell A. Anderson became Headmaster in July 1979, after having served as Head of the Hill School in Middleburg, Virginia, for six years, and The Elmwood-Franklin School in Buffalo, New York, for twenty-three years.  

Fifties2.jpg
1950's

1980’s
In conjunction with the fiftieth anniversary in 1984, the school’s first capital campaign successfully raised funds for an additional building for art, music, and physical education. The building was named the “Dorothy Startt Field House” in honor of the school’s first Headmistress. Also in 1984, the annual field day was renamed “Dorothy Andrew Day” to honor “Dot” Andrew upon her retirement from teaching physical education. Enrollment had declined to 170 by 1985. Mr. Anderson retired in 1986, and was succeeded by Mr. James C. Ferrer, who had been Assistant Head of The Buckley School in New York. A student council was formed in 1988. In 1989, the “Big Toy” playground was constructed by Country School fathers.

1990’s
Enrollment was once again on the rise. In 1990, Mr. Ferrer left to take another post and Mr. Neil Mufson became Headmaster in July, having previously served as Upper School Head of the Ensworth School in Nashville, Tennessee. An after-school care program was created and the first Grandparents’ Day held. In 1994, the school celebrated its 60th Anniversary and began an ambitious fund raising campaign to build a new library, renovate and expand facilities, and increase endowment. Throughout the 1990's, student enrollment consistently increased. In 1999, The Country School Values program began.

2000’s
In 2000, the Cornerstones For Tomorrow Campaign was launched and in the fall of 2001, the school opened with enlarged classrooms in a new lower school wing, renovated locker rooms, air conditioned classrooms, and $1.5 million added to the endowment. In 2004, the school celebrated its 70th Anniversary amid great fanfare, and a new school logo was adopted. In 2008, the Country School song was written and an early morning care program was created. In 2009, the Parents’ Association made a transformational gift to the school to help jump start a major technology initiative. The school also celebrated its 75th Anniversary and Neil Mufson’s twentieth year as Headmaster, held its first Golf Classic, and began the Helping Others, Helping Ourselves and Upper School Advisory programs. In the fall of 2010, opening day enrollment was 290 students. 

  
search login