Our physical education curriculum is modeled on the national standards from NASPE (National Association for Sport and Physical Education) and AAHPERD, (American Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance).
The mission of our program is to encourage all students to sustain regular, lifelong physical activity as a foundation for a healthy, productive, and fulfilling life. The learning environment can be modified, when necessary, to allow for maximum participation. A meaningful and successful physical education experience assures that each student will:
- Demonstrate competency in many movement forms and proficiency in a few movement forms.
- Apply movement concepts and principles to the learning and development of motor skills.
- Exhibit a physically active lifestyle.
- Achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Demonstrate responsible personal and social behavior in physical activity settings.
- Demonstrate understanding and respect for differences among people in physical activity settings.
- Understand that physical activity provides opportunities for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction.
The over-arching goal of physical education at The Country School is consistent with the national standards of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD), and the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE). We believe the student should develop a lifelong interest in physical activity and wellness, and understand the value and contribution they make to a healthy lifestyle and productive life.