The structure of the physical education curriculum is based on the national standards from NASPE (National Association for Sport and Physical Education) and AAHPERD, (American Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance).
The mission of physical education is to encourage all students to sustain regular, lifelong physical activity as a foundation for a healthy, productive, and fulfilling life. Students are provided with a learning environment that is modified, when necessary, to allow for maximum participation. A meaningful and successful physical education experience assures that each student will:
- Demonstrate competency in many movement forms and proficiency in a few movement forms.
- Apply movement concepts and principles to the learning and development of motor skills.
- Exhibit a physically active lifestyle.
- Achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.
- Demonstrate responsible personal and social behavior in physical activity settings.
- Demonstrate understanding and respect for differences among people in physical activity settings.
- Understand that physical activity provides opportunities for enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and social interaction.